by MUMIA ABU-JAMAL
In April, 2014, the state-appointed emergency manager, in order to save money, ordered that the city’s water source be changed from Lake Huron to the notoriously polluted Flint River.
The switch unleashed a citywide disaster of disease, destruction, and death. Flint was a toxic river, rich in lead, a major pollutant that has devastating effects on brain development, speech and I.Q. levels in children. As soon as it was pumped into municipal water systems, the corrosive waters leached lead from the old pipes, and sped it to some 90,000 homes into the city.
Flint is now a poisoned city, because of its toxic water.
Sourced through Scoop.it from: www.counterpunch.org
- Demand the removal and arrest of Rick Snyder, the Governor of Michigan.
- Make the State of Michigan pay for the disaster that the State of Michigan created.
- The federal government must then be placed in charge.
- Evacuate any and all Flint residents who want to leave now.
- For those who choose to stay in Flint, FEMA must create a temporary water system in each home.
If you want to help Flint, sign the petition, demand that the federal government take action, and then get involved yourself, wherever you live, so that this doesn’t happen to you — and so that the people we elect know they can no longer break the law as they rule by fiat or indifference. We deserve much better than this.
For a better world,
Click through for more
Sourced through Scoop.it from: www.commondreams.org