On the 50th anniversary of the Moynihan Report (The Negro Family: The Case For National Action), john a. powell of the Haas Institute discusses the economic and political struggles faced by black communities today
- Segregation was [and is] about separating access to opportunity.
- The War on Drugs is really a war on Black people.
- We may have a plutocracy now. Rule by the rich.
- White people don’t see Black people as being part of the country, as being legitimate members.
- We bailed out banks, and GM with billions of dollars, but we did not bail out Detroit to help the African-Americans who live there.