Influential author and speaker Dr Brené Brown tackles the myth that vulnerability is a weakness. Instead, she argues, it is the clearest path to courage and meaningful connection, and has the power to transform the way we engage and educate.
“Our capacity for wholeheartedness can never be greater than our willingness to be brokenhearted.” -Dr. Brené Brown
“Empathy fuels connections. Sympathy drives disconnections.” -Dr. Brené Brown
- Shame: “I am bad” | makes us think that we can’t change
- Guilt: “I did something bad” | creates cognitive dissonance
In Dr. Brown’s message I recognize my many failures :/
I could listen to this over and over to:
- help me a better parent, spouse and citizen
- help me discover groups who shame other groups
- help me recognize patterns of shaming that happen between cultures
Shaming is the starting point in the process of oppression.
If you convince yourself that you and your culture is superior AND you convince others by shaming them that they and their culture is inferior – you have the ingredients to start the oppression. Once the oppression has started it can self sustain with no further involvement.
See on www.youtube.com